Monday, July 22, 2013

on our way to becoming history maniacs

What do Ancient Egypt and Mesopotamia have in common? Lots but we are talking about mud and straw bricks!

In the 100+ degree June day we set out making bricks on a much smaller scale than either of those Ancient civilizations. It was a lot of work. Frist we needed to get dirt, take out clumps and rocks. then you slowly add water until it is thick mushy not watery mud. then we added hay. we used old baby food rectangle containers for the mold and made a lot of bricks.   

             2013-07-01_10-58-56_6322013-07-01_11-00-16_3792013-07-01_11-42-06_910

About a week later when they had had plenty time to dry Teigen set to work making a Ziggurat, he soon found that it was going to take too many bricks so he decided to make a house.

              2013-07-09_10-21-26_9662013-07-09_15-34-51_326

We are still loving homeschool! I am having a hard time figuring out what to do with Emma and Tintin some days. They just need to be right where the action is. Also I have found it hard to do the different levels at the same time but I am still working on that. I think as Teigen gets more independent. I will be able to focus on spending more than just three or four minutes with the others.

Emma and Tintin are learning about rhyming. we did a hunting we will go and they had fun playing with the rhymes.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Oh my goodness! Can I come be part of your homeschool?! Way cooler than anything we've been doing lately!