I am So loving having T home all the time and doing homeschool with him. He is such a great kid. He gets excited when ever we do fun things. It’s hard to predict what he will think is fun but he’s getting much better at doing things anyway.
We are trying to learn by heart the doubles addition facts. So we made these. T painted dots and then folded the 3x5 card in half and made a copy. he thought it was pretty cool. Then we talked about what each one equals and counted them. T discovered that when they were all lined up in order the answers were the same as counting by twos! he was pretty excited about that discovery.
He is learning to read and write the color names (again, he didn’t seem to learn them very well last time) so I had him write color names on cards and tape them on something that color.
His hand writing is pretty good! (we got the yellow piano at a yard sale Happy early fathers day!)
T also finished the first bob book collect. Two more to go. they are a little easy, but they are really helping his reading become more fluent. and the first one in collection two introduced ow and aw which are both new sounds for him. So we are going to add saw and now to his sight words this week, I might also add in how.
Emma loves coloring in coloring books and anywhere really. She is beginning to attempt to color in the lines and also tried to draw pictures. The other day she labeled every little scribble as she made it.
The strait lines going down at the top are her name! she said “eh” “mm” “mm” “ah” while she drew each one. (I do the same as I write her name every time.) The big scribbles were mostly water and everything else was a “fishy” or a “tar” (star). I thought that was pretty amazing for a baby bug who’s not even two yet.
We have been trying to teach Emma the color names so we’ve been playing with colors a lot.
(T helped write some of the color names) Emma loves pasting things so she loved doing these. we did a color a day and said the color name each time we put something on.
A while back I bought lacing beads. Emma loved them but really doesn’t quite have the fine motor skills to lace them herself so I made a pug board for them to fit on. She loves this and fills the pegs up them says again and dumps them off to do it again! I am not sure how to get her to sort the colors on her own but I am guessing that will come with time.
I sure love being a homeschooling Mama! I still haven’t decided what homeschool philosophy I will follow yet but I have been reading more homeschooling books and such and I think I will end up doing a mixture of pretty much all of them. As I right now I want to avoid work sheets as much as possible but I am not sure how to do that, I also know it’s important to drill and practice things and work sheets are good for that. I will have to spend more time thinking about it. I’ll share more thoughts on this as time goes on.
2 comments:
What great learning ideas! Mostly how I've been teaching my children is just through daily conversation and songs, I haven't come up with very many creative ideas lately. But, one thing we did do with sight words, its we got a whole bunch of yogurt lids and I wrote a sight word on each one and we play Frisbee with them we show and say the word and then toss it to someone and they show and say the word and toss it back. That's been fun for the children.
I really liked your ideas in this post! I'm definitely going to use the addition doubles idea. I know what you mean about worksheets. I don't like using them exclusively, but whenever Trevor asks for them, I tell myself it's better than TV! Plus I'm still trying to figure out how to guide him (and Conrad and Abigail, of course!) through learning with real life. It's hard, but I have the feeling I'm somehow making it harder than it should be.
Post a Comment