Thursday, January 12, 2012

Baby school!

I have spent a lot of time reading homeschooling books and other parenting/ education books. Now Emma is 18 months old, and I think I am ready to start what we are calling baby school.

Here is my currant plan: (it is likely to change very much over the next few weeks and coming months and years)

Before T goes to school:

Song of the week (primary children's songs)

Scripture of the week

Before Morning nap, after dropping T off :

One or two of the following activities for two to five minuets following Emma’s lead-

     Color matchingDSCF4365

     Animal sounds and matchingDSCF4366

     Lacing beads

     Body parts

     Shape sorting

After Lunch:

Play time with mommy. Sing songs, finger plays, read books, climbing games … you get the picture.

Early evening when T is home:

Art! Painting, coloring, gluing, play dough

I will use lots of describing words and talk about size, shape, color, and texture.

You may think I am crazy starting school for a baby but my main goal is to build the habit of doing structured activities. And having a plan for our day.

Right now T is pretty busy with his kindergarten and visits with bio mom but we do try to do art often and work on math and reading together. I have had to adapt my plan to go along better with what he is learning in school. But it’s giving me a little practice at doing homeschool with an older child.

2 comments:

TimothyandJessica said...

Looks like a good plan. I know my children thrive on structure. The more strict I am about keeping to our schedule the better behaved they are. Love you!

Jennifer said...

I'm so excited to read all about what you do Katherine! I wish we lived closer so we could do a co-op together. Your log is very cute.